Picture this: You’re having some friends over for dinner. That’s when it happens. You notice your sink’s not draining. You won’t be able to cook the food on time with a dysfunctional drain. It’s a Sunday, and you know plumbers tend to charge more for off-hour emergencies.
Before working yourself into a tizzy, and prematurely canceling meal plans, read on to learn a few simple ways you can fix faulty sink drains on your own.
Clogged Kitchen Sink Drain
Clogging is usually caused by the buildup of food and otherresidue in the p-trap. Thisp-shaped pipe that’s connected under the sink prevents any odor and unpleasant sewer gas from going up into the kitchen.
- First, try a plunger. Give it a few mighty thrusts before calling it quits.
- If that doesn’t work, put a pot of water on the stove.
- While it’s boiling, use a bucket to scoop out as much water as you can from the clogged sink.
- Pour the boiling water into the empty sink and let it sit for about 20 minutes.
- Repeat the plunger attempt.Plunge passionately.
- If this doesn’t work, open the pipe by loosening up the knots.
- Manually clean out all the gunk that has accumulated inside.
- If it still doesn’t drain, call experts on plumbing in Colma.
- Wash your hands like you’re about to go into surgery.
A neglectedgarbage disposal unit can get faulty and jammed. Theymay be designed to manage a considerable amount of trash, but they can only handle so much. There are things that shouldn’t be thrown in them, like fibrous materials and objects with hard exteriors that can break the grinders and cause a blockage. One way to clear the blockage is by removing the debris.
- You’re going to need your fingers to prepare that dinner so unplug the device before you start.
- Open the bottom part of the unit with a hex wrench.
- Clear the disposal.
- Plug it back in.
- Try it out. If the grinders are still faulty, they’re likely damaged and not just clogged. You’ll need a plumber to fix that.
The sink is the most used plumbing fixture in the kitchen. If you’ve tried the fixes above to no avail, and you’re still having trouble, call a professional that’s familiar with plumbing in Colma. Then, call your friends to reschedule.