Not all of us were blessed with movie-star hair. But with the proper care of your hair, and eating an overall healthy diet, the look and feel of your hair can actually improve.
It’s science and one of the best ways to improve the look and feel of your hair is to eat a healthy diet. A strand of human hair is actually a filament, which is a long chain of proteins bound together for strength. These proteins need healthy nourishment as they pass through five stages. The first stage is the anagen phase known as the growth of the hair follicle. Catagenis is the resting stage of the follicle. Telogen is the deterioration of the hair follicle. Exogen is when the hair is shed. Kenogen is the phase prior to a new hair follicle growing.
Superfoods for hair nurture follicles from the inside out. Besides healthy proteins, your hair benefits when you eat a diet also rich in complex carbohydrates, fatty acids, zinc, iron, B vitamins, vitamin C, etc. Here are some of the superfoods for hair health and growth.
- Broccoli – A good source of vitamins A and C, broccoli helps your body make sebum, an oily substance that hair follicles secrete. Broccoli is good for your overall health as it is loaded with good stuff such as omega-3 fatty acids, iron, calcium, and magnesium.
- Kidney Beans – Because hair follicles are mostly proteins, kidneys beans are an excellent source of healthy materials for hair. Besides being packed with protein, kidney beans contain zinc and iron.
- Fish – Fish are heavy on proteins as well as omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D and B12. Omega-3 essential fatty acids help keep your scalp hydrated. A deficiency in omega-3 fatty acids can lead to hair loss. Fish also contains iron and vitamin D.
- Nuts – An array of different nuts is believed to help prevent hair loss. From cashews to almonds, nuts are chock full of zinc, omega-3 fatty acids, and vitamin E.
- Eggs – Eggs are another excellent source of protein. Eggs also contain both biotin and B vitamins.
- Quinoa – Quinoa is a whole grain high in protein. This grain also contains vitamin E, biotin, niacin, as well as vitamins B6 and B12.
- Pumpkin Seeds – Packed with protein, zinc, selenium, biotin, potassium, copper, iron, B vitamins, vitamin E, magnesium, and calcium, as well as omega-6 fatty acids, pumpkin seeds are the ultimate superfoods for hair growth.
- Green Peas – Green peas are full of B vitamins, such as B6 and B12. They also contain vitamin C which helps the blood absorb iron.
- Mango – Mangos are also rich in vitamin C which help iron get absorbed into the bloodstream. Mangos also have vitamins A and E.